The Pharmacy Technician program is a vocational training course which will provide students with the basic skills and knowledge in preparation for an entry-level pharmacy technician position. In addition to classroom instruction, students will also be required to complete a 200-hour externship with a school-approved facility and apply for state registration with the California Board of Pharmacy.
Financial Aid is available to those who qualify. Click here for more information
Pharm Tech- MOD Repeat
|Class Name||Meeting Date||Meeting Time||Day||Fee|
|Pharm Tech- MOD Repeat||07/01/2017||08:00 AM||Mo, Tu, We, Th, Fr, Sa||250 $|
What will I do in this field?
Pharmacy Technicians can practice in various practice settings in assisting the pharmacist with dispensing medications and ensuring patient safety with their medication therapy. The pharmacy technician serves as the right hand of the pharmacist in assisting patients with medication needs, as well as to maintain effective systems are in place in the business aspect of the pharmacy.
What prerequisites are required?
- High School diploma or equivalent (GED)
- Copy of TB skin test results (TB skin tests must be less than a year old)
- Copy of Hepatitis B immunization records
- Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers (accredited by the American Heart Association)
What skills will student have upon completion of the program?
Upon completion of the program, graduates will be able to work in various pharmacy settings (i.e. community, compounding, hospital). Program graduates will be able to:
- Assist the pharmacist in processing and dispensing prescriptions
- Implement knowledge in pharmacology, pharmacy calculations and pharmacy practice in the pharmacy workplace setting.
- Implement knowledge of HIPAA and OSHA guidelines within the pharmacy setting.
- Perform skills in aseptic technique
- Assist in compounding customized medications and IV preparations
- Operate Pharmacy Management Software
- Fill and label prescription labels
- Maintain patient profiles
- Prepare insurance claim forms
- Provide customer service
- Perform administrative duties such as answering phones, stocking shelves and operating cash registers
What are some career opportunities?
Pharmacy Technicians can work in various settings such as:
- Community pharmacies (i.e. corporate retail pharmacies, outpatient pharmacies)
- Institutional Setting (Hospital inpatient pharmacies, Long term facility)
- Compounding pharmacies
- Mail-order pharmacies
- Health insurance companies
- Clinical Trial Research Firms
- Pharmaceutical Manufacturing company (as a sales representative)
What is the projected growth for this Job? What’s the career outlook?
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), pharmacy technician employment is estimated to increase by 20% (faster than average) from 2012 to 2022. This will be due to increased demand for prescription medications. Moreover, the BLS suggests that technicians with formal education or training will be specifically sought to meet these demands.
What are the requirements for pharmacy technicians to be able to work in the state of California?
All pharmacy technicians must be registered with the California state board of pharmacy prior to employment and will be given the title Registered Pharmacy Technician (RPhT). A requirement to be registered is to take a training course such the Downey Adult School. In addition, institutional pharmacies such as hospitals may require a pharmacy technician to be certified, meaning the technician must take the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam (PTCE), and successfully pass to be given the title Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT). As regulations change and standardization is implemented in the next few years, the CPhT license may become a requirement for the state of California as well, reason why it is highly recommended.
How do I enroll?
Potential students are highly encouraged to attend a program orientation prior to enrolling to receive detailed information regarding the program. All upcoming orientation dates are found in the school website and catalog. Student may also download the orientation packet at www.pharmtechdas.weebly.com. For further questions, please email our program director at email@example.com.